Sunday, February 26, 2012

Night Sky Sights This Past Weekend

On Saturday, February 25th, if you looked up at the sky, you would have seen this: Mercury, Jupiter, and Venus, all next to a beautiful crescent moon.  I wish that I had known about this celestial event sooner because I would have let you guys know to check it out!
Mercury would have only been visible for a little bit after the sun set.  Why do you think that it doesn't stay in the night sky for very long?  (Hint: think about how close it is to the sun.)
Venus is the brightest one in the sky.  This is because it is the closest planet to us, so it seems brighter.
Jupiter is the smallest one at the very top of the picture.  We know that Jupiter is the biggest planet in our solar system, so why do you think it's the smallest looking planet in the sky on nights like this?

For more info, click this link.   Also, this page here shows webcasts of the event so you can watch it even if you missed it. 

11 comments:

  1. THATS WHAT YUHH WERE TALKING ABOUT MS.WILLARD-MERSADIES

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mersadies!
      Yes, this is what I was talking about. I looked up at the sky tonight, but I don't think everything is lined up like it was this weekend. :( Sad! It's still cool to look at the picture, though.

      Ms. Willard

      Delete
  2. THAT IS SO COOL I WISH I COULD SEE IT . DID YOU TOOK THAT PICTURE? WELL BYE - NOHELANI

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nohelani!
      I didn't take that picture, but it's still pretty cool to look at though. I'll try to keep up with the activities in the night sky over the next few months so that I can tell you guys when to check out planets, stars, and constellations.

      Ms. Willard

      Delete
  3. Greetings Ms Willard and Class!

    I was actually able to observe this celestial alignment in late February. While it may have been a challenge in the Northwest due to cloud cover, I happened to be in Utah at the time and was able to see this amazing sight!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! Ms. Willard's dad is following our class blog! :)

      Delete
  4. yah! he is wow thank you ms.willards dad!:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. okay ms.willlard hope u look almost every night!

    ReplyDelete
  6. i glad ms.willard's dad join this blog he is going to love it!
    [*L*]

    ReplyDelete
  7. ms.willard? i join the blog called hawaiian wedding. i hope it's okay? \:

    ReplyDelete